While our two eyes look externally outwards, our sixth chakra sees beyond the physical and goes within. This vision includes clairvoyance, telepathy, intuition, dreaming, imagination, and visualization.
When we have too much energy flowing through the third eye we may experience headaches, hallucinations, nightmares, and difficulty concentrating. When this chakra is blocked, we might have a poor memory, experience eye problems and can’t visualize well.
When this chakra is open you have a deep connection with your purpose in life, your inner voice and you feel guided by your choices. When it is blocked there can be a sense of self doubt and distrust.
Our main focus of the workshop was to simply go within, to get into each asana (pose), close our eyes and connect with our inner silence. When you drop into your inner silence you have an opportunity to hear your intuition more clearly. Thoughts and visions may appear, which are the ones to pay attention to. It’s also a very safe and secure place to be, often we feel like our security or happiness has to come from some place external to us, when actually we have it within us all along.
To help calm your mind and connect with your inner silence I recommend the following steps.
1) Viparita Karani (legs up against the wall pose) for at least ten minutes.
2) Childs pose for at least 5 mins breathing deeply.
3) Ujjiay breath for 10-15 minutes – inhaling for 6 exhaling for 9 or 10 counts.
4) Finally allow your breath to become your normal rhythm and start to visualise a bright light surrounding you, maybe in an egg shape, so it’s completely covering you, protecting you and filling you with positive energy,
5) Next bring to mind a representation of a place that is safe and secure to you. Maybe it’s your bedroom, a beach, in a wood, where ever feels safe for you. Look around at what you see there, notice what you can hear and feel what ever feelings come up. Once you have it clearly in your mind just sit there soaking up the feeling of quiet, secure stillness.
6) When you are ready return, knowing that place is always there for you to access when ever you feel you need to.
My next yoga workshop will be on 5th October and will be a journey through all of the chakra’s. For more details see my workshop page.